Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Sunday 15 July 2012

Sals - Auckland City

I was working late on Thursday due to a big project I'm working on. As luck would have it my mate Michael happened to have a late night conference call. Michael and I are THE fast food experts. Between the two of us, we have probably tried everything on the menu at usual fast food places. During uni, our lunch would would consist of hunger busters + a burger on the side. Of course, if you didn't have the burger on the side you weren't a real man.


Good times.

Anyway, it was about 7pm when I remembered he was also working late and thought, we both have to eat... a quick text to Michael and dinner was sorted.

Sals - Auckland

For those of you not familiar with Auckland, Sals is self described as "Authentic NY Pizza". It's located just a minutes walk from Queen St and two minutes from Showgirls. Not that I have done that walk or anything... *ahem*. The pizza's are made on a thin, crispy base.

Food:

There are a number of slices at the counter, but being real men we decided to go halves on a full pizza. I can already hear you all thinking "If you were real men you would each have a full pizza!". Well, this is different. Just like American black guys*, Sals do things big, and I mean BIG - 28". We decided upon the pepperoni as it's been a favourite in the past.

Click on the picture to get a better view!

Marking Criteria:

Presentation: Beautiful. It's not hard to present a good looking pepperoni pizza, but the combination of pepperoni and multiple layers of cheese, combined with the sheer size immediately makes an impact. 4/5
Taste: The toppings seemed to stick and as a result there was a lot of cheese that had to be broken off and placed on the pizza by hand. Sals have extra cheese, chilli flakes and what I presume is oregano in shakers and I decided to sprinkle a little of the first two on my slices. Overall it was good but slightly frustrating. 3/5
Customer Service: The staff were very friendly and the girl working there didn't look too bad either which is always a bonus. There was also a guy who I'm sure was Gary Wilkinson's brother. 4/5
Toilets: None that I was aware of. N/A
Value for money: The pizza cost $28 so $14 for a half pizza which I thought was OK. You can get much cheaper pizza's from the likes of Domino's but this is essentially a different target market. On a fullness meter I would say Jesse Ryder would be happy. 3/5

Overall: 14/20.

Do you know of a fast food joint or restaurant that needs a review? Post a comment below or tweet me @Kyle_Maskell

Fast Food Leaderboard:

1. Sals - Auckland City - 14
2. Wendy's - Lynfield - 13

* So I've heard.

0 comments:

Post a Comment